Add Your Site Today!

Friday, December 8, 2006

Wii Definition Notes

My official nintendo branded wii component cables came in the mail the other day. and I believe they are worthy of note. I plug them in, and change the settings to 480p and look for the differences.

despite what everyone says, the most noticeable difference in the games I believe is actually the much improved color and contrast. the brights are brighter, and the shadows are darker. while yes, the textures are much more highly detailed I can say that 480p while better than 480i, isn't THAT much of a step up. the clarity and precision of everything is much higher and better looking, but at 480p its also allot easier to notice the flaws as well. like a lack of Anti-aliasing effects on Wii games.

its known that a good way to make low resolution games look amazing, is to use Anti-aliasing. the Gamecube and Xbox could do this, the PS2 couldn't, thats what caused all the jaggies. and unfortunately Legend of Zelda doesn't use this technology (but Wii sports does)

with the component cable is much easier to notice this. but I emphasize on the bad points of this cable even though the good points are much more note worthy. overall the cable is worth it. and after a few more months I'm sure Anti-aliasing will become a requirement and standard practice for all Wii games so they can look good with component cables.

on a side note, I no longer work in retail, I put in my 2 week notice at Circuit City today. so while no longer work in retail, it holds no barriers against my knowledge of products. there is no such thing as "insider information" when it comes to retail.

No comments: