Add Your Site Today!

Monday, December 4, 2006

Halo 3 and Graphics in games

So the Halo 3 Trailer is out, not just that, but the Public Beta is having sign ups, and the Halo 3 Website changed. I cant help but feel that Halo 3 is on the mind today.

When halo is brought up in conversation, many people mention how it looks amazing, or how the graphics made the game. and in viewing the new trailer, I realized that I don't feel the same way. I would be happy with a Halo 3 that had just higher-res textures and slightly-more-polly models. I've always played the game for its game-play and multi-player, not for its graphics, which were just icing on the cake.

if improved visuals makes the game play better then I'm all for it, but for most games that isn't the case. I don't want to have to pick out one blur from another blur because the lighting effects are over the top. I don't want to have to say "the water is awesome, but the frame rate sucks" really because I love the way the game is played.

im not going to defend halo, im not going to say its the best game ever, im not going to say that everyone should love and own halo and an xbox 360. I realize that Halo doesn't fit to everyone's tastes. for example, I HATE Kingdom Hearts, but I NEVER say its a bad game, mainly because its very popular, and just because I hate it, doesn't mean its a bad game. I guess thats how I would define a fan boy, a person who tries to enforce their opinion onto others without that persons feelings in mind.

anyway back on the Wii front.
I'm about 4/7th's of the way through Zelda, its an amazing game, but i'm starting to have a few little tiny irks about the design. firstly I'm having a bit of a problem of the lack of side quests and enjoyable mini-games. it seems that heart pieces are starting to take place of a lot of prizes for mini games and I'm not really finding that they are worth the effort. I guess I was hoping for more of a game like Oblivion, with a huge world and tons of side-quests and plenty of weapon upgrades with a heavy Zelda theme.

and while Twilight princess does take a lot from OoT, it doesn't really almost stand on its own. its borderline linear. and I thought I would NEVER call a Zelda that. I'm not saying its a bad game, its an amazing game, just it could have been better. I guess I'm starting to agree with that 8.8/10 score. Ill sum up my feelings about the game when I finish it.

No comments: